Monday, July 26, 2010

Dez Bryant: Right or Wrong?


Just as freshman are hazed in high school and college, rookies are hazed in the NFL and all professional sports. This does not occur because the veterans are trying to humiliate their rookie teammates, but rather it is a reminder that these young guys with huge contracts do not run their new teams. Dez Bryant, former Oklahoma State star WR turned team castaway turned first round pick with a huge 5 year contract, recently refused veteran WR Roy Williams' attempt at hazing. Roy wanted Bryant to pick up his pads and bring them to the locker room for him, but Bryant defiantly said no and made Williams do it himself. Whether it be because Bryant didn't want to give the man he was competing with any satisfaction or because he has an attitude problem, Bryant did not back down from his actions, saying today "I feel like I was drafted to play football, not carry another player's pads."
And now, our opinions...! Is Bryant being a diva and thinking that he is different than everyone else? Or is he entitled to stand up to an unquestionably unfair system and to not be bothered with carrying a lazy veteran's pads?

Ryan: Since I have played sports my entire life, I have always been exposed to some sort of hazing, whether directly aimed at me or aimed at someone else. As a freshman coming up onto my high school track team, the senior members of the team would always look to embarrass myself and my freshman teammates at every opportunity before the first competition. And then at the first competition, I went out and beat all but 1 of said seniors. My performance earned serious respect, and I haven't experienced an ounce hazing since. Bryant has every right to refuse Williams in my opinion, provided that he backs up his arrogance with performance. Openly calling him out in the media is a little extreme, but Bryant is very proud of his abilities and is very well known for having this kind of attitude. Essentially, as long as Bryant has a good training camp and pushes Roy Williams to the extent he is capable of, then rookie hazing is very foolish. And Roy, watch your back, because Bryant is an unbelievable talent and could fill your unproductive shoes very quickly if you're not careful. Maybe you'll be carrying his pads soon if you don't focus on your game and don't transition back to the star you used to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment